Tuesday, March 13, 2012

32 Week Update

32 WEEKS

Hopefully only six weeks from today we will be holding our precious little lady!! (Yes, I am still shooting for the 24th of April!) Everything is progressing beautifully. At our appointment yesterday, a medical student did the initial check-up. It was probably the most entertaining check-up I have had. First, she measured my tummy- measuring right on track at 32 weeks. Then, it was time to check Lorelei's heartbeat. She found her position right away but she had a difficult time checking the heartbeat because Lorelei kept running away from her. It felt like she was doing head-spins. We were laughing so hard because she had to move about four different times until we could hear a good, clear heartbeat. Her heart rate was at 152. She said, "Man, she is one active little girl." I just started laughing, "You have no idea!" After she cleaned the jelly off my tummy, Lorelei decided to show off a bit more and did a flip and gave a good hard kick. So, of course, my whole belly bounced and rolled. The medical student just stared at my tummy and put her hand where Lorelei had kicked, "Whoa! I think she just kicked you. That was weird!" We just sat there laughing. The medical student was very young and you could tell she was new into the field, so I am guessing she has never experienced a very active baby yet. Made my day!
I was proud of myself at this check-up. I only gained two pounds in two weeks! (That is the expected weight gain at this point in pregnancy. I will be gaining about a pound a week until Lorelei comes.) This was such a big deal for me because the month before I gained eight pounds, that is four pounds of extra weight! Ugh. When the doctor discussed this with me I was embarrassed. I felt like the Michelin Man. It was a very difficult emotional obstacle to get over. In high school, the highest I ever weighed was 105lbs. Being close to 5'7'' this was extremely underweight. Finally, after high school was over and I wasn't so active in sports anymore, I gained some weight and weighed about 115lbs. This is still underweight for my height. So, technically, I was underweight when I became pregnant. My philosophy is that the few extra pounds I gained was actually healthy for me. But, the doctors didn't seem to care or take that into consideration. So, for the past two weeks and I have been crazy obsessed with food. I check the calorie count. I try different methods to eat less. These past two weeks have been awful. I mentally beat myself up. I've never had to experience anything like this before. I never had to worry about gaining weight. Something I noticed about my body though is that if I don't eat bad food all the time I won't have excessive weight gain. This made me very pleased and has since let me relax a bit, which is definitely needed at this point in my pregnancy. I am very much looking forward to the day when I can work out again though!! Everything else is going well. Lorelei is definitely growing and is taking up more space. My mom said my tummy has dropped and I definitely notice it. It is also starting to grow to more of a torpedo shape. I am feeling more weighed down and I am gradually slowing down. Even though I am a secretary and just sit at work, it is actually becoming uncomfortable to sit for nine hours. Then, a couple Saturdays a month I have volleyball tournaments. Those are getting pretty tough because I stand all day. Luckily, I have been doing a lot better with drinking water so I am not as swollen as I was a few weeks ago. I bought a big water jug and I make sure I finish that before I go home from work. I am quite proud of myself because drinking water has always been a challenge for me. I have been experiencing quite a few BH contractions. That is a good sign! My body is practicing for when the real moment is going to happen. Experiencing the contractions is kind of scary though. They aren't scary because I am in pain, it is because they occur often. I mentioned this to the doctor and of course she didn't seem concerned. All she told me to do is pay attention to them, if I have six contractions in an hour to go to the hospital. Whoa. Her saying that made everything seem more real.  
I am actually going to have a baby.


The nursery is coming along! My dad brought over the crib on Saturday so Paedn and I spent most of Sunday in the nursery organizing and planning. I love how involved Paedn is in the pregnancy and the prepping for our lady. He has been a great support this whole time. I think he even may be more excited for our lady to get here than I am. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to go register for baby items with me. My mom gladly tagged along though! It was a kind of disheartening experience. Target only had about two isles of baby items and Walmart didn't have a scanner to register in store. So, at lot of my registering happened online. Just kind of sad because I remember when Paedn and I went registering for our wedding and we were overwhelmed with what we needed to register for. I just assumed it would have been the same thing. I was excited to look at all the baby stuff.




At 32 weeks Lorelei is close to 4 pounds and is almost 17 inches long. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair! Well, hopefully she has hair! She is as big as a sack of potatoes! 
    

3 comments:

  1. Only 2 isles at Target?? Go register at Babies R Us, they can be overpriced but they have everything!

    Don't worry about your weight! You probably won't have any problems losing any, if you actually need to, after esp. because this is your first baby!

    No picture?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the exact reason I wasn't going to Babies R Us. They do have everything though. I might just go look around and get ideas of what I need.

      I did put up a picture of me tho- the Michelin Man. ;-) I am at work when I wrote this and didn't have a new picture to update with.

      Delete
    2. You are too cute Hilary!! I have never read your blog but I saw it on FB and clicked on it :) I'm so happy for you!! This is such an exciting time right now :) Reading your thoughts and feelings makes me remember how I felt at this exact time. It is AMAZING how time somehow races by! I can't even believe how big Wes is now... I agree with your sis in law :) Go to Babies R Us!! They always have coupons, usually 20% and everything on your registry will be 10% off if you didn't receive the item after the baby is born. And your weight... relax!! Just eat healthier :) Don't try to eat too much less. You are going to be just fine! Everyone gains weight differently at different times in their pregnancy... Hope you guys are doing well! Sure sounds like it :)

      Delete